Dedicated Truck Accident Lawyer in Orlando
At Todd Miner Law, we provide passionate representation to clients who have been injured in a variety of commercial truck crashes. If you or a loved one has sustained an injury in an underride accident, our firm can help. We have guided hundreds of clients to successful resolutions, and we can discuss your options and represent you before the insurance company and in court if necessary.
Underride accidents are typically very severe; and it is important to start the investigation and claim process quickly. Whatever your situation, our reliable Orlando truck accident attorney can investigate the situation and provide compassionate, aggressive representation. Contact us today for a free consultation.
What You Need to Know About Underride Accidents
Underride accidents often result in serious injury or death. They occur when a passenger vehicle or motorcycle collides with a commercial truck, becoming partially or fully pinned underneath. Depending on the situation, injuries may include lacerations, concussions, traumatic brain injuries, paralysis, spinal cord injuries, coma, broken bones, limb amputations, and internal hemorrhaging. The cost of emergency medical care and long-term medical treatment can be very high, and bills can pile up quickly. Therefore, it is important to file a claim and pursue compensation as soon as possible.
What causes underride accidents?
- Poor lighting and weather conditions
- Failure of the truck driver to signal a turn
- Broken underride guards
- Failure of the truck driver to stay with the flow of traffic
- Inadequate tail and brake lights
- Failure of the truck driver to merge and cross traffic safely
If the truck driver slams on the brakes, merges into traffic while going excessively slow, or makes a turn without signaling, an underride accident may occur. It is important for truck drivers to obey traffic laws and avoid traveling too slow, especially at night when visibility is poor. This can help prevent a collision.
Types of Underride Accidents
There are three main types of underride accidents:
- Rear-end underride crashes. Rear-end underride crashes occur when a passenger vehicle or motorcycle runs into the back of a commercial truck and becomes pinned under the trailer. These wrecks are often fatal, and commonly occur when the driver of a passenger vehicle misjudges the speed of a commercial truck ahead or fails to see the truck altogether.
- Side crashes. This type of underride accident often occurs when a truck changes lanes, or turns and hits a car from the side. The car may become partially or completely pinned under the trailer if the truck does not stop. In order to prevent this type of accident, truck drivers should use proper signaling, and passenger car drivers should avoid lingering in a truck’s blind spot.
- “Jackknifing”. When a commercial truck “jackknifes”, the trailer swings out to the side, becoming perpendicular to the cab. If the trailer crosses other lanes of traffic, it may hit cars, causing the cars to become pinned underneath.
In order to help avoid underride accidents, the U.S. Department of Transportation mandates that commercial trucks must have reflective or “conspicuity” tape on all sides of the trailer. In addition, truck drivers must regularly inspect and maintain the clarity of the tape, as well as the clarity of running lights and brake lights. Inadequate lighting is a major contributing factor to in the cause of underride accident. By illuminating the truck’s size with reflective tape, truck drivers can help prevent underride accidents.
Seek Compensation with the Help of Our Attorney
At Todd Miner Law, our firm is dedicated to providing informative, personal legal services. Todd Miner has personally handled dozens of tractor-trailer accidents, including underride accidents. These accidents often result in long-lasting medical conditions. We can handle the legal issues so you can focus on healing. As an Orlando truck accident lawyer, Todd has years of experience and can tenaciously pursue your right to compensation.
Call our office today at 407-894-1480 for passionate legal assistance.