Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me
While 61% of dog bites occur in the home, some dog bites occur in public areas. Below are some reasons dogs bite:
When dogs are behaving aggressively, it is likely due to fear. It may be fear that a person is too close or fear that they are trapped. The intense worry may lead a dog to bite in order for more distance to occur.
Dogs that are battling an illness may be stressed and overwhelmed. This is why when a dog has a sudden behavioral change, it is always wise to take them to a veterinarian for an evaluation. Dogs may bite when the area of concern is touched, due to the pain.
Regardless of the breed, all dogs like to protect their food, toys, home, and human parents. They may bite when these things appear to be threatened.
It is best to proceed with caution when touching a sleeping dog. If they are woken suddenly, they may be startled and confused. As a result, the dog may bite. This is especially true with dogs that have poor hearing or vision.
Light biting often occurs when dogs play with toys or each other. This type of bite can be harmful to a human, but is normal behavior for dogs interacting with one another. Proceed with caution when playing with a dog, especially during games like tug of war. These games can make dogs overly excited to the point of biting.
Preventing Dog Bites
A dog’s owner should take responsibility for their dog’s behavior. If you are a dog owner, there are things you can do to prevent a bite.
- Keep your dog on a leash when it is experiencing distress or is in an overwhelming environment.
- Pay close attention to your dog’s body language. For example, if they are growling. This could be an indication that the dog is uncomfortable.
- If your dog is easily overwhelmed in certain environments, give them distance to calm down. A good way to calm a dog is through soothing music.
- Do not physically punish dogs, as this can escalate aggressive behavior. Hitting, kicking, and grabbing are examples of disciplinary behaviors that can increase stress in dogs.
- If your dog bites often, consider a basket muzzle. This is an effective tool that prevents bites and keeps humans safe. Dogs can be trained to enjoy wearing their muzzle.
- Know your dog! If you know what causes your dog stress, avoid putting them in those situations.
- Get a dog trainer. Working with a trainer can help your dog learn appropriate social behavior and lower the risk of negative interactions with others.
- Ensure that your dog is up to date with their vaccinations, especially the rabies vaccine.
How to safely interact with a dog?
While dogs are loved by many, not all dogs you run into are friendly. It is crucial that people, especially children, know the importance of how to interact with a dog. Below are some things to consider when approaching a dog.
- Don’t put your face too close or try to kiss an unfamiliar dog.
- Avoid eye contact or running when a dog is behaving aggressively. As soon as the dog is distracted, slowly move away.
- Always ask the dog’s owner permission to pet a dog. If there is no owner around, do not approach.
- Avoid getting close to a dog that is sleeping, eating or injured.
Contact an Orlando Dog Bite Lawyer
Unfortunately, not every dog owner is willing to manage their dog’s behavior. Even if we do everything to safely interact with a dog, there is still a risk of getting bit. If you or your pet has been attacked by an unruly dog, Orlando personal injury lawyer Todd Miner can help you seek justice and fair compensation. To discuss how we can help you, contact us today.